GERIATRIC PATIENTS

Home Forums Medical issues in Dentistry GERIATRIC PATIENTS

Welcome Dear Guest

To create a new topic please register on the forums. For help contact : discussdentistry@hotmail.com

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Drsumitra
    Registered On: 06/10/2011
    Topics: 238
    Replies: 542

With advances in modern medicine, people are living longer. As a result, we often find unique treatment challenges in the geriatric population. There are several reasons for this. First, just as the production of tears in our eyes lessens as we age,1 salivary flow diminishes. Saliva is known to have a buffering ability, a cleansing effect, and an antibacterial action.2 Saliva also acts to moisturize oral mucosal tissues. As the production of saliva decreases with aging, the beneficial effects are not as strong as they are earlier in life.

Second, among the numerous advances of medical science, major strides have been made in the area of pharmacology. Many medications have been developed that help the population live longer. Some of the best examples are medications that help control high blood pressure as well as lipid-lowering agents, commonly referred to as statins. While having these drugs available is a positive, some of these drugs have the side effect of xerostomia, an effect that aggravates the problem of decreased salivary flow in older people.

A third problem with elderly patients is the lack of regular care. It is often difficult for an elderly person to visit a dentist. Geriatric patients may need to rely on a friend or family member to bring them to a dental office. Many times I’ve heard a geriatric patient say, “I don’t want to bother him (or her).” The person is saying he or she does not want to be a burden to the child or neighbor. In addition, I have found that elderly patients are often forced to stay away because of the need for long-term physical therapy and rehabilitation necessary as a result of accidents.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.